Ticket Prices: -
The castle-palace of Belalcazar is one of the most representative of the fifteenth century, when the nobility attempted to demonstrate its social and economic status.
Built entirely of stone blocks, Belalcazar preserves two enclosures: an outer barrier adapted to the irregularities of the land and reinforced with rectangular towers, and the inner rectangular castle-palace with eight towers, one at each corner and another in the center of each side. All eight towers are of average height except for the eastern and principal tower, which rises noticeably above the rest. In the fifteenth century, some Renaissance construction was added to improve the accommodations of the palace, which were insufficient in the old principal tower.
The castle was built by the magnate Gutierre de Sotomayor, grand master of Alcantara, with the benefices he earned from his various possessions. The castle later passed on to the houses of Benavente and Osuna. In 1811, during the War of Independence, French troops defended the castle against a siege by the duke of Wellington's British troops.
The exterior of the fortress is almost entirely intact, but nothing remains of the interior structure.